Lori and the Llama

Lori and the Llama

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

BsAs Day 2 - Recoleta, San Telmo & La Boca


The amazing thing about being here is that after only 2 days, I'm letting go and allowing myself just to live. No agenda, just playing things by ear  getting on a bus and seeing where it takes me. Today I rode a bike around the city with a girl from the hostel. She woke up the same time as me this morning, asked me to eat breakfast, and then spent the day together. I don't remember her name, but I know where she's from, where she's been and where she's going. This is the part about backpacking I like - everyone is instantaneous friends. There is no judging anything - looks, accent, background -  in a hostel, everyone becomes friends because we all have one thing in common. We are here because we want to be. Everyone is happy and wants to experience things and just live life. And as for natives - they are even better. They sit with you when you're alone at re dinner table, and they make sure you get where you're going and let you know the inside tips.

For example I am sitting at the caminito, a strip in the La Boca barrio, drinking a coffee and watching a tango show. The whole street is filled with brightly colored art and sculptures, it's truly gorgeous, but the bus driver made sure to let me know that if I walk a step away off the strip, I will get mugged. Good thing to be warned of, especially since I like to wander. I love Buenos Aires, and am so glad to be coming back here to see all of the parts I missed! I did make it back tO Recoleta cemetery and found Evitas mausoleum which was nice and another BA to-do crossed off since yesterday's cemetary trip was a big fail. I also four another heladeria, ice cream place, cafe grumpy which was good but nOt amazing like Freddo, the Grom of BsAs.

So 20 minutes after writing this, I actually witnessed a man get mugged. He was on the floor with 2 men pulling things out of his pockets. In all fairness I think the guy was a thief himself but either way was my cue to leave. I came back and met up with a friend I met in Peru 2 years ago for dinner. All I can say is the steak was incredible. The wine was delicious. He ordered and is living here so there was nO 2 Plates of salad or eggplant included. It was fantastic and a great way to end my entry into south America, or el America del sir. I fly down to Ushuaia tomorrow morning, winter coat ready to go. Thus is where this trip will go off the beaten path. Ushuaia's agenda includes a lot of cool things which I hopefully will get to do since I'm going at the end of the season. We will find out tomorrow!!

3 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see photos! Please feel free to send wine back up ha ha ha Or at least to recommend some yummy wine (red suggestions please)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acire I am uploading some pics as we speak! I finally found a plug for my cameraª And when I get to Mendoza thats when the wine comes I am totally shipping some to the states!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cant believe you saw someone getting mugged. Same thing happened when I was in Barcelona. Except it was a woman, she was sitting in a restaurant, and all the Barcelonian waiters went after him and retrieved her purse.

    ReplyDelete