Lori and the Llama

Lori and the Llama

Monday, July 18, 2011

Middle of the World and the end of my sanity

So, as my blog post from 4am entailed, I could not sleep last night. I was just way too shaken up, so I came downstairs and sat, trying to decide if I was brave enough to risk leaving the safe confines of my hostel walls.  Sarah and James showed me how to take the bus to the mall to get a new camera, and then to go to the Mitad del Mundo {Middle of the World, point of 0 0 0 latitude}.  They swore it was totally safe and easy and I would be okay, so against my better judgement I went.  It WAS fine, but I was a crazy girl all day. I was delirious from lack of sleep, and convinced every person that passed me was going to rob me. Not that I had anything with me at all, except a dinky disposible camera to hold me over until I get home and can buy a real one.  I tried to run away from the bus man who was trying to tell me I was going the wrong direction. I did a lot of ridiclous things. I found a movie theater that had harry potter in english, but was afraid to be in the dark with that many Ecuadorians. Every single person that even glanced in my direction I ran the opposite way.  When I got to the Middle of the World, the monument itself was really lame. The best part about it was I found a restaurant that served this traditional Ecuadorian soup I've been looking for, a potato soup with cheese and avocado. And Ecuadorian chocolate. Yes, I had a pity party for myself with Ecuadorian cuisine.  There's a separate museum a 5 minute walk from the monument where the ACTUAL 0 point of latitude is, since it's not wher the giant monument is. Go figure. I went there, and it was pretty interesting despite me being so tired by this point that my eyes were shutting as the guy showed me how the wind vane span one way on the southern hemisphere side of the line, and the other way on the northern hemisphere side. There's all these tricks they show you like how an egg will stand up on its own, and how water swirls opposite ways on either side but falls straight down on the line. Centripical force. Very cool.
I made friends with these 2 girls that had a private taxi taking them back into Quito. Rather than suffer the 3 bus rides, I asked if they could drop me off. They were heading to the airport to pick up someone, so she said they would drop me off a few blocks from my hostel.  We pulled over across from another taxi, and the guy told me it would only by $1.50 to get back to my hostel from there.  I went over to the taxi and asked him how much, and he said $4. I hate getting ripped off and now despise all Ecuadorians, and was not paying more than double to go for a 5 minute ride. I told him it was $1.50, and he said $3. I told him, in perfect spanish, that I was robbed yesterday and my money was stolen and to let me just pay $2 which is more than the fare. Apparently me telling him I was robbed scared him, because he drove away and left me standing on the street. Now I was terrified because I didn't know where I was, and had no taxi and was exposed to all the potential thieves.  I stood in the doorway of a furniture shop until I spotted an open cab who charged me the right amount and hopped in, safe and sound. My paranoia is at this extreme now though, that I decided he was going to take me to the wrong place and rob me, so I sat with my hand on the door handle ready to jump out if I didn't recognize a street name within 10 more blocks. Luckily I did, so I relaxed for 10 seconds.  I got out 2 blocks early to go to the Kellari chocolate shop {a fair trade Ecuadorian chocolate brand they charge a fortune for at Whole Foods}, and then ran faster than I ever have before the 2 blocks back to my hostel, zig zagging across the street back and forth in case anyone tried to follow me. I'm not kidding when I say I'm losing my sanity, I acted like a crazy girl all day long.
I foud sushi for dinner which made me happy since I've missed that SO much. Decided to head straight to Banos tomorrow and just settle in before my volunteer program starts. There's a ton to do there, from hiking and biking to rafting and canyoning. There's hot springs and massages, and most importantly, it's safe.  I wont come back until the day before my flight, where I will then lock myself in my hostel until it's time to go to the airport.
Now let me name all the reasons I'm excited to come home!
Reunion with my family, friends and FOXY!
Summer Streets
New Fairway opening on the UES
Can walk down the street without fear of mugging, rape or deportation
Foxy again. God I miss that dog.
16 Handles
My Lulu order that will be waiting at Caryns house
NYSC!
Fire Island?
Downloading new songs onto my replacement iPod once I buy it
Looking forward to seeing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment