Lori and the Llama

Lori and the Llama

Monday, May 16, 2011

Current issues with Argentina

I got really sick my last day in Buenos Aires, and had a 18 hour bus ride that turned into over 20 when 1) our bus randomly broke down right when we left BA, and 2) we stopped to pick up passengers every 13.6 seconds along the way. So that might be the reason for my current rant, but either way, I have some reasonable qualms with this country to get off my chest!

1) There is no need for every Argentinian man to speak to me when I pass in the street. Sometimes I know its harmless and maybe even nice. Like, I know the word lindo means beautiful, so I´ll take that one as a compliment. However, the slurping sounds when I walk by? I´m not sure if that means you´re hungry, I look hungry (I probably am, food sucks again in Iguazu), I look like I taste good, you want to take me to dinner, or you want to eat me. None of the above are acceptable, so please don´t slurp or chomp at me when I walk by. Especially when, at times, it really doesnt even make sense, like this morning when I was 2 days unshowered, hair in a bun, and wearing sweats. And not even my cute lulu ones. Baggy, boy sweats. Even speaking to me then is puzzling.

2) Don´t sell me a sandwich when you´re serving me dinner 10 minutes later. At the bus stop at 8pm they let these men on with sandwiches, which I proceeded to buy since I assumed we weren´t getting dinner. Not even 10 minutes after the bus left, and I ate my bread since the dude gave me the wrong sandwich - I dont eat breaded noname meat - they gave us our dinners. Thanks for the heads up, Expresso Singer bus man.

3) Dont give me the wrong currency!!! Because of someone giving me Brazilian money today, I had to promise the guy at the Iguazu Falls boat station my first born and a kidney to get him to let me slide by being short one peso, which I would have had if someone hadnt given me a Brazilian coin, or I hadnt bought the unnecessary sandwich on the bus last night.

4) Know where you live. Your town has 10 blocks, citizens of Iguazu. How do none of you know where San Martin street is?? Why, when I ask for a supermarket, you have no idea where I can find one when I stumble across it on my own by turning the corner and walking 10 feet. If someone asked me where 2nd avenue was, or the nearest Trader Joes, I could tell them every single place they could buy a loaf of bread in a 20 block radius.

5) Iguazu Falls, like Uruguay, does not sell my beloved puffed sugar corn cereal. Probably for the best, since I was living on that stuff. But I do miss it, Salta better have some!

On a happy note, Iguazu Falls was one of the best things I´ve seen on this trip so far, but more on that next entry when I´m not doped up on Sudafed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment